Monday 15 April 2019

Platelet Jagged Edge


Check this out, my platelet jagged edge.

Twenty-one months of platelet measurement for a chronic Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (TTP) patient. Zero is bad, 200 is good. Doctors like to see platelets above 150. I like to see mine above 200.

Your body seems to work normal if we keep the platelets above 40 or 50. Once it drops down, then shit starts to happen. Everything starts to get sick, headaches, stomach aches, bruising, shortness of breath, …


When I’m healthy, I go to the clinic every four weeks to check my blood. I also check the week before I go travelling. I’m trying to make sure the platelets are on track. Eleven days before my last TTP detection, my platelets were at 224, well above the 150 barrier. I’m not sure how fast the platelets changed, but I was showing symptoms, just 9 days later. That’s life or at least my life.

When under TTP recovery, we measure the platelets everyday. If the platelets are up, there are a bunch of high-fives and we go on to the next day. If the platelet jagged edge goes down, then there is concern. Is TTP creeping back? Does Prednisone work? Do we up the level of plasmapheresis? 

As you can see in the chart, even when healthy, the platelet line is not always smooth. It is a jagged edge, as you probably have good days and bad days when it comes to the creation and the use of platelets. I guess I just need to roll with it.

Thanks, Bruce
@BruceFightsTTP


No comments:

Post a Comment