Monday 21 August 2017

Chemo! I Thought You had TTP?

I have had Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (TTP) three times over the last 6 years. I have been treated with prednisone, plasmapheresis, red blood, Vincristine, Rituximab and Cyclophosphamide.

A couple of weeks ago, I was told we are getting ready for my chemo.
"Chemo? No, I'm getting Cyclophosphamide."
“D'oh, same thing“

Chemotherapy is the treatment of disease by the use of chemical substances, especially the treatment of cancer by cytotoxic and other drugs. Chemotherapy is also used for TTP.

Chemotherapy drugs are used to combat the autoimmune dysfunction. In order to stop TTP, we need to stop the platelets from being destroyed. I don’t know the percentage, but many TTP patients get chemotherapy.

I suppose the good news is TTP patients can combat the disease using therapies which were developed for cancer. The TTP patients may also be assisted by associated support groups.

The downside is there is little research to help find a specific solution to TTP. Using chemotherapy is like using a bazooka to combat TTP. The drug may destroy cells which have no relationship to the TTP autoimmune deficiency. My current chemotherapy actually reduces my platelet growth. This is very depressing to a TTP patient, where one measures progress as an increase in platelet growth.

The search for a specific TTP solution is why we think it is important to help a charitable organization which supports TTP research. Answering TTP Foundation has committed over $1.6 Million to research grants through 2019.

Bruce Fights TTP team will support Walk to Answer TTP Together on September 16, 2017. Please support.

Thanks, Bruce.

@BruceFightsTTP

No comments:

Post a Comment